CIVILIZATION IV: BTS RISE OF MANKIND CRASH ON START WINDOWS 7 64 BIT
This is one of those world building games that you just have to play. Atleast, so said a network guy that I helped with a copier. I said really… He said really… in any case, he updated his os from windows vista to 7 64 bit. He won’t touch windows 10 after the fiasco with 8.1.
Tech guys are a careful bunch. So, he called me up to show me the game… wink wink… I get over there and the game would not run.
I asked him how long this has been going on. He tells me since he got the operating system installed. I check all the usual suspects.
Does he have the latest drivers?
Are all the drivers installed?
Is the cpu overheating?
Is there too much dust?
thats a subquestion of the cpu overheating…
Is directx installed to the latest and greatest?
Does civ iv need the latest and greatest directx?
Does he have all the patches installed?
Is this a mod or a real company generated patch?
Did he try an earlier version of the mod?
Was there an official release or port of civ iv for 64bit os?
Are there any dlls missing such as MSVCR71.dll and/or msvc71.dll?
Is uac interfering?
Does uac need to be turned off?
Are there any firewall exceptions for civ 4 and its expansions?
Is it being flagged by antivirus?
Does it have a high enough priority for its processes?
We came down to the following…
1. You only need civ iv and the bts expansion
2. You get the latest and greatest patch for civ iv the civ iv final patch the civ patch 1.74
3. Get the latests patch for bts the civ 4 bts 3.19 patch
4. turn off uac
5. install the mod from here
6. run to make sure the mod runs
7. upgrade mod to the latest and greatest
8. thank me and the network guy for staying up 24 hours and figuring this out… bitcoins accepted…