WINDOWS UPDATE: GET INFORMED ABOUT THE LATEST ONES BEFORE YOU DEPLOY
1. TechNet Technical Security Notifications
- You can receive these via RSS or Email.
- Varying levels of information depending on what you want/need to know.
- Only support MS products. But supports all currently supported MS products.
Get it here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/dd252948
2. Microsoft Security Newletter
- More of a power-user informational alert.
- Monthly notification email with released bulletins and patches and other security related information from MS.
- Still limited to MS patches and information.
- Email only.
Get it here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/cc307424
3. Shavlik XML update bulletin
- Provides notifications of updates for wide array of common software, including all currently supported MS OSes and products, several different browsers, common plugins, media players, chat clients, programming tools, etc.
- Email only.
- May be a day or two later than other notifications as each patch is tested and approved
Get it here: http://www.shavlik.com/support/protect/
Shavlik now offers notification via Twitter as well as an RSS feed of their patch file updates which, as before, include more than just Microsoft products.
For all their update methods, see this KB article: https://community.shavlik.com/docs/DOC-23176
- Shavlik XML Twitter: https://twitter.com/ShavlikXML
- Shavlik Protect Blog: http://protect7.shavlik.com/
- RSS Feed of the Shavlik Protect Blog: http://protect7.shavlik.com/feed/
Both the Blog and RSS Feed contain full details on the patches included in the new XML file, while the Twitter account updates with links to the most recent Shavlik Protect Blog entry, and Shavlik states their intent to release new XML files the same day patches are released.