Today, I had a client that wanted to run space empires 5 on windows xp. I got it running by placing the program in windows 98 compatibility mode.
- Right click on the link of the program that you want to fix.
- Click on Properties.
- Click on the Compatibility tab.
- Click on Run this program in compatibility mode and select one of these:
- Windows 95
- Windows 98
- Windows NT 4
- Windows 2000
- Under Display settings, click to select the mode that you think that is necessary for the program to work correctly:
- Run in 256 colors.
- Run in 640 X 480 screen resolution.
- Disable visual themes.
- Click Apply, and then click OK.
Then just run the program.
Windows 7 can be a bit more complicated for instructions on that I deffer to my betters.
If your program doesn’t want to run natively under windows 7 then you need to go into windows xp mode